Delaware Shakespeare offers summer internships for high school actors who are interested in learning more about Shakespeare and being a part of a wonderful Delaware summer tradition. This is an incredible opportunity to be a part of our Summer Festival, getting an inside view of a professional theatre company working on one of the greatest plays ever written. In 2020, you can go behind the scenes (and into the park) as Delaware Shakespeare creates its production of The Tempest.
High school interns serve as Wandering Bards, entertaining audience members during the pre-show picnic period. Selected interns understudy the roles in the summer festival production played by College Apprentices. Interns are welcome to attend the three master classes offered to the Apprentice Company. Interns are also paired with a college apprentice in a mentor relationship. All rehearsals for the summer production are open to interns to attend and observe.
All high school interns are asked to:
- Create and perform improv-based Shakespeare entertainments that are part of the pre-show Festival activities
- Volunteer at least once a week during the three weeks of the summer festival (July 17-August 2)
- Assist in promotional activities
Five interns will serve as understudies and have these added responsibilities:
- Attend 2-3 rehearsals a week for The Tempest (June 16-July 16)
- Memorize the lines and learn the blocking for their assigned understudy role, having the part prepared by final dress rehearsal (July 16)
- Attend an understudy rehearsal on July 21
- Be able to get to Rockwood Park within thirty minutes in case they are needed to perform their assigned understudy role (July 17-August 2)
To Be Considered
Download the High School Intern Application. Email the completed form to David Stradley at email@example.com. Deadline for applications to be submitted is May 8, 2020. Auditions will be held on in mid-May.