Delaware Shakespeare offers summer internships for high school actors who are interested in learning more about Shakespeare and being a part of a wonderful Delaware summer tradition. This is an incredible opportunity to be a part of our Summer Festival, getting an inside view of a professional theatre company working on one of the greatest plays ever written. In 2019, you can go behind the scenes (and on stage) as Delaware Shakespeare creates its production of The Merry Wives of Windsor.
High school interns understudy the roles in the summer festival production played by College Apprentices. If schedules permit, interns are welcome to attend the three master classes offered to the Apprentice Company. All rehearsals for the summer production are open to interns to attend and observe. In 2019, select interns will appear on stage in the final scene of Merry Wives.
All high school interns are asked to:
- Create and perform improv-based Shakespeare entertainments that are part of the pre-show Festival activities
- Volunteer at least once a week during the three weeks of the summer festival (July 12-28)
- On assigned nights, appear as “fairies” at the conclusion of Merry Wives – playing a big practical joke on Falstaff
- Assist in promotional activities
Five interns will serve as understudies and have these added responsibilities:
- Attend 2-3 rehearsals a week for Merry Wives (June 11-July 11)
- Memorize the lines and learn the blocking for their assigned understudy role, having the part prepared by final dress rehearsal (July 11)
- Be able to get to Rockwood Park within thirty minutes in case they are needed to perform their assigned understudy role (July 12-28)
To Be Considered
Download the High School Intern Application. Email the completed form to David Stradley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications to be submitted is May 13, 2019. Auditions will be held on Thursday, May 16.