Please note that in light of COVID-19 concerns, Delaware Shakespeare will not be recruiting interns for the 2021 summer season.
Delaware Shakespeare offers summer internships for high school actors who are interested in learning more about Shakespeare and being a part of a wonderful Delaware summer tradition. This is an incredible opportunity to be a part of our Summer Festival, getting an inside view of a professional theatre company working on one of the greatest plays ever written.
High school interns serve as Wandering Bards, entertaining audience members during the pre-show picnic period. Selected interns understudy the roles in the summer festival production played by College Apprentices. Interns are welcome to attend the three master classes offered to the Apprentice Company. Interns are also paired with a college apprentice in a mentor relationship. All rehearsals for the summer production are open to interns to attend and observe.
All high school interns are asked to:
- Create and perform improv-based Shakespeare entertainments that are part of the pre-show Festival activities
- Volunteer at least once a week during the three weeks of the summer festival
- Assist in promotional activities
Five interns will serve as understudies and have these added responsibilities:
- Attend 2-3 rehearsals a week
- Memorize the lines and learn the blocking for their assigned understudy role, having the part prepared by final dress rehearsal
- Attend an understudy rehearsal
- Be able to get to Rockwood Park within thirty minutes in case they are needed to perform their assigned understudy role